Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My son's Scout troop is experimenting with recipes to put into a cookbook for campers. This was the winner for taste, simplicity and relatively few ingredients. It's basic, but tasty. I can never leave a recipe alone, so I always add herbs, more or less squash (depending on whether I'm trying to use up the garden over abundance or not), additional cheese or different kinds of cheese. Use your imagination and make it your own.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups sliced zucchini
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Brown beef and celery and remove with slotted spoon.
- Saute zucchini in pan drippings until lightly browned and remove with slotted spoon.
- Layer beef mixture and zucchini in dutch oven.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stir Worcestershire and sugar into tomato sauce and pour over casserole.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cook over low fire for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
This was easy to make and the kids loved it. This definitely surprised me with more flavor then I thought it would have. I did add a little olive oil before sauteing the zucchini. I will make this one again. It helps control our zucchini population. Made for *Healthy Choices ABC 2009* game