Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
One of 10 favorite recipes from Taste of Home 2011.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups apples, chopped peeled
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine flour, rolled oats, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cut in softened butter until crumbly.
- Press half into a greased 2-1/2-quart baking dish or a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Cover with peeled, chopped apples.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and clear.
- Pour over apples.
- Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 to 65 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Serve warm, with ice cream if desired.
- Yield: 8 servings.
I love apple crisp, and this was very good. I think using a tart apple is important so it doesn't come out too sweet. I added some pecans to the top as a personal preference. Thank you! Made for CQ '16.
This was a lovely crisp LL. We enjoyed the flavor and texture, very much. The sweet vanilla sugar sauce coated the crisp tart apples perfectly, resulting in a tender yet chewy treat. Thank you for sharing your lovely recipe. Made for CQ3 - New York