Recipe by Chocolatl
This is a recipe of my mother's that I didn't find until after she died. One dough makes 6 different types of icebox cookie. Prep time does not include chilling time.
Top Review by Boomette
The taste of these cookies are so good. But I had problems with the dough. It was too dry to combine. After step 2 you don't mention to add the egg and vanilla. I added milk to the dough to be able to roll it into a roll. Cause it was falling off. I tried a roll with unsweetened coconut and one with dates. Both are great. Thanks Chocolatl :) Made for Sweet tradition tag game
- 6 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1⁄3 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄3 cup dates, raisins, currants, prunes, figs or 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, pecans, peanuts, brazil nuts or 1⁄3 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Beat shortening and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and beat well.
- Combine mixtures and mix well.
- Divide dough into six portions.
- Leave one portion plain.
- Mix ingredients for one of the variations into each of the other portions.
- Shape each portion into a roll.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Slice dough very thin.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.