Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
Winnie is my 89y/o sweet, sweet neighbor. I think she's sweeter than this cake! Posting for my safe keeping.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs until frothy,; add sugar gradually and beat until thick and lemon color.
- Stir in applesauce, oil and water; blend well.
- Sift flour with all dry spices, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add to applesauce mixture, blending well.
- Pour into 2 well greased & floured 9 inch round baking pans.
- Bake fro 30-35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Finish cooling on wire racks.
- Once cooled, frost with desired frosting.
- FROSTING: Cream cheese and butter must be at room temperature, combine, then add confectioners sugar and blend until smooth. Frost cake as desired.