Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a really good vegetarian version of meatloaf and I get rave reviews every time I make it. The texture is great and even people who eat meat like it. I got it from a friend a few years back and she said that she got it from an elderly neighbor. When you spread the topping on before baking, make sure it is clear to the edges and evenly distributed.
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 6 slices brown bread, cubed crusts removed
- 20 ounces veggie burgers (canned soy protein meat substitute)
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon meatloaf seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 lb grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook onion and cubed bread in small amount of butter or margarine until onions are soft, about 2 minutes.
- Mix bread and onions with all other ingredients, except for topping mixture, in a large bowl and mix gently until well combined.
- Put in loaf pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray or just greased.
- Spread topping mixture evenly over top making sure it goes all the way to the edges.
- The Topping: Mix the 1/4 c ketchup, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a bowl and spread evenly over top before baking.
- Bake 1 hour at 350 (can add a little longer cooking time depending on your oven, but watch it so it does not burn).
- Let stand 5 minutes after removing from oven before cutting into slices to serve.