Recipe by HeatherFeather
This fast, easy recipe is a real family pleaser! I have used this recipe for many years as my good old stand-by for potlucks and tailgate parties. I have also baked this recipe in two smaller pans, keeping one for my family and bringing the other over to a new mother or neighbor as a welcome gift. This is my version of one I found in a community cookbook called "Enough to Feed an Army." (NOTE: Updated the amount of the spaghetti, I also now use a smaller box of pasta in this, even though the original called for a 1 pound box)
Top Review by Jen1
I have made this dish twice now, and both times it has been a success. To save time, I didn't cut up the cream cheese, and that worked out fine. My family loved it. I really enjoyed it also. I am not a spaghetti fan, but this was a dish my family and I could agree on.
- 1 (10 -16 ounce) package thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) jarprepared spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese or 8 ounces neufchatel cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Place cooked spaghetti in a deep 1.5 quart oval baking dish or a glass 9x13" casserole.
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef until cooked through;drain fat and stir in spaghetti sauce.
- Heat over low heat, covered, until warmed through, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add onions and peppers to the butter and saute until just lightly browned.
- Cut up cream cheese into small chunks and add to the onion mixture; stir until melted and well combined.
- Pour half of the meat sauce over the cooked spaghetti.
- Pour all of the cream cheese sauce over the first layer of meat sauce, using a spatula to spread evenly.
- Pour remaining meat sauce over the cream cheese layer, again using a spatula to spread evenly.
- Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese over the top to taste.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 25 minutes or warm and bubbly.
- Remove cover and bake 5 minutes more.
- This can be prepared ahead, refrigerated, and not baked until the following day, if desired (if you do, allow extra baking time).