Recipe by NorthwestGal
This is a recipe from Drew Cersa (the Wing King) who recently appeared on the Live with Regis and Kelly show, in a cooking segment that featured appetizer recipes for Super Bowl Sunday get-togethers. This recipe took top honors in a Bobby Flay ThrowDown! competition. It sounded so scrumptious and perfect for a Super Bowl gathering, and I thought others might be interested in preparing it for their Super Bowl festivities.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 ounces dark beer
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ancho chilies
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 4 ounces cayenne pepper sauce
- 50 chicken wings
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop up and sauté the shallot & garlic cloves with the butter.
- Add the dark beer, chili sauce, and BBQ sauce, and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the ancho chili peppers, brown sugar, honey, and cayenne pepper sauce, and stir for 2 minutes.
- While you are creating the sauce, drop 50 chicken wings (the amount you drop in at one time will depend on the size of your fryer) in a deep fryer until fully cooked. (The wings can also be grilled or roasted instead of deep fried.).
- Once wings are fully cooked, add the wings to a large mixing bowl. Add the sauce, and flip gently to be sure the wings are thoroughly coated with the sauce.
- Serve with a side of blue cheese dressing.