Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I was given some fresh tart grapefruit by a dear friend and came up with this salad recipe by raiding the frig (and the herb garden). Toasted almonds might be good in this, too...as an afterthought.
- 1 large tart yellow grapefruit, peeled, sectioned and cut into small chunks (not sweet)
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (green and white part)
- 1⁄2 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves (fresh!)
- 3 tablespoons dried strawberries, cut into pieces or 1⁄4 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh orange juice or 2 -3 tablespoons clementine juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- SALAD: Combine the grapefruit, mixed greens, scallions, cucumber, mint and (dried) strawberries in a bowl.
- VINAIGRETTE: Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together the two juices, vinegar, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the olive oil.
- Divide the salad onto two salad plates.
- For best flavor, chill until ready to serve.
- Whisk salad dressing before serving.
- Top with toasted almonds if desired.
I had everything for this salad, but the strawberries (January.... Minnesota....you get the picture), so I just threw in a few clementine sections instead. I also sprinkled the top with just a bit of crumbled Danish blue cheese, just because I had it. Otherwise I made this exactly to recipe and I loved every bite of it. The mint really put the final grace note on it, so DO NOT omit it or be tempted to use dried. I was afraid that the dressing would be too sour, as my grapefruits were very tart, but it was perfect. This gave me a delicious taste of summer during a Minnesota winter....worth its weight in gold! Thanks so much, Cookgirl. I love it!