Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Here's a recipe for roasted garlic without added fat and roasted in it's own skin to retain moisture. This is a great for roasting garlic, so it can be ready when you start cooking in the evening. I've even done it overnight and started cooking in the morning. Mashed potatoes, add to some extra virgin olive oil a touch of salt for a great dip in bread, mix into dressings for veggies or top some broiled fish or meats. Roasted garlic goes great with mashed potatoes, on pasta, or simply spread on crusty bread. Perfect for making garlic bread! I've made 1/3 the recipe in a mini crock pot with great results!
- 6 heads garlic (peel away the loose outer layers of the garlic bulb skin, leaving cloves intact. Using a knife, cut)
- 2 cups red wine or 2 cups white wine
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (or herbs of choice)
- Place the 6 heads of garlic in one layer in a crock pot or oven proof casserole dish.
- Pour hot wine over garlic and add herbs.
- Bake in a 350°F preheated oven for 40-60 minutes or until soft.
- Or in the crock pot for 4-6 hours on low.
- Squeeze garlic out of skins and add to whatever you desire if like me everything!. ;.).
Really clever way to "roast" garlic! You know, I bought my mini crockpot for this recipe and I'm glad I did. I used white wine and no herbs so that I could use the garlic in a wider range of dishes. The only complaint I have, (and I'm not sure if it was something I did), was that the garlic skin didn't come away from the cloves very easily at all as it does when I roast them in the oven. But the flavor... yum! Thank you, Rita, for this keeper.
This was easy to do, and the timing was right on. I will add this to your aromatic seasoning for a wonderful dip! Thanks Rita!