1/1 Photo of Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken -- Crock Pot
6 hrs 30 mins
From EatingWell Magazine: January/February 2011 -- Chicken thighs cook in a simple herb-infused tomato-and-wine sauce. The bone-in thighs give it plenty of hearty flavor, and because you cook them without the skin, it keeps the dish healthy. There’s plenty of sauce, so serve it over noodles or rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 chicken thighs (about 3 3/4 pounds, bone-in, skin removed, trimmed)
- 4 slices bacon (cooked ~ reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat)
- 1 large onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry white wine (Or, substitute 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth mixed with 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (with juice, coarsely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (finely chopped ~ optional, for garnish)
- 1Place the skinless, bone-in chicken thighs in a 4-quart (or larger) crock pot.
- 2Cook bacon ~ drain well ~ crumble bacon over chicken in crock pot.
- 3IF YOU HAVE THE TIME, cook onion, over medium heat, in 2 tablespoons reserved bacon fat, stirring, until softened, 3 to 6 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, fennel seeds, pepper and bay leaf and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine, bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, scraping up any browned bits. Add tomatoes and their juice and salt; stir well.
- 4Pour the tomato-wine mixture over chicken.
- 5IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE TIME, place the following into crock pot over the chicken: crumbled bacon, sliced onion, garlic, thyme, fennel seeds, pepper, bay leaf, wine, tomatoes and their juice, and salt!
- 6Cover and cook until the chicken is very tender, about 3 hours on High, or 6 hours on Low. Remove the bay leaf.
- 7Serve chicken and sauce over cooked noodles, or rice ~ garnish with chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken -- Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.6
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 81.1 mg
- Sodium 337.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 17.6 g