Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this tasty recipe from a bag of Frieda's shallots. I love this on hamburgers.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 -4 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup dry red wine or 2⁄3 cup white wine
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 -2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter or margarine; saute shallots for 3 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Stir cornstarch into wine; add to pan with beef broth, mustard to taste, chives and pepper.
- Cook and stir until mixture thickens; simmer 3 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve over burgers, steaks, fish or BBQ chicken.
THanks for the helpful recipe. I omited the chives since its January and mine are all under the snow. I added instead tarragon, the beef broth, a p;inch of salt and red wine. We enjoyed it atop of some nice medium rare fillet steaks.I am freezing the leftover hoping it will come in handly next steak night.
A good sharp taste and the combination of chives and shallots add a nice vaguely onion-y undercurrent. Sparked up some run-of-the-mill burgers nicely.