Recipe by Darlene Summers
This is an old family recipe. I seldom ever make it because rabbit is too expensive and I don't care for wild rabbit, but if you can afford it--it is delicious.
Top Review by Mia #3
I raise my own rabbits, so I can pretty well have it when I want. This is very simlar to the receipe that I have. It is very good indeed. I LOVE it with mash potatoes, or with saffron rice. Mmmmmmm!! Thanks for posting Darlene Summers!!!!!!!!!
- 2 -3 tablespoons Crisco
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 2 cut up rabbit
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- salt & pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 3 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large roasting pan put Crisco, onion and celery.
- Add 2 cut up rabbits; brown on both sides.
- Add bay leaves, peppercorns, rosemary, oregano, thyme and salt and pepper.
- Pour in red wine and vinegar; mix in flour.
- Bake at 325° for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or till tender.