Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Good served with mashed potatoes and a mixture of green and wax beans.
- 8 skinless chicken thighs, and visible fat removed (about 2 lb)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 large fresh sage leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh sage, cut in narrow strips
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil and butter in a large, heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, rosemary and sage and cook, turning chicken occasionally, 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spoon off fat, leaving about 2 tsp in skillet. Add 1/4 cup of the wine, the garlic and crushed pepper.
- Cook 20 minutes longer, turning chicken occasionally and spooning on all but 2 tablespoons of the wine as pan juices evaporate, until chicken is cooked through and coated with a deep brown glaze. Remove to warm serving plates.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of wine to skillet and cook, stirring in browned drippings from bottom of pan. Spoon pan juices over chicken and garnish.