1 hr 30 mins
It may sound unusual, but it's actually a delicious light dessert - and so easy. Served in stemmed glasses, it makes a lovely presentation. Mother always served this after Christmas dinner. Pink champagne or cold duck can be substituted for the port.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart skim milk
- 3 whole eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups water, divided (approximate)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3 lemons, juice of
- 1 cup port wine or 1 cup red wine
- 1/2-3/4 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1 drop red food coloring (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1WINE GELATIN: In a 2-quart bowl add 1 cup cold water.
- 2Sprinkle gelatin over water and stir to soften and slightly dissolve gelatin.
- 3To a measuring cup, add lemon juice and enough water to make 2 cups and add sugar, and heat until sugar is dissolved.
- 4Pour mixture over gelatin.
- 5Add port wine.
- 6If you want a little more color, add a drop of red food coloring.
- 7Stir to mix well and pour into and 8x8-inch glass baking dish.
- 8Cover and chill.
- 9Before serving, cut into 3/4-inch cubes by cutting it as a checkerboard.
- 10Using a spatula, release cubes from sides and bottom of glass dish.
- 11NOTE: Amount of sugar for gelatin mixture will be determined by the sweetness of wine.
- 12CUSTARD: In saucepan, mix sugar and flour together, stirring to mix well.
- 13Stir milk and eggs together.
- 14Gradually pour egg mixture into sugar mixture, stirring well.
- 15Heat mixture over medium-high heat, constantly stirring with a whisk until it thickens enough to coat a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- 16Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- 17Cool slightly or chill.
- 18TO SERVE: Spoon cubes of Wine Gelatin in stemmed glasses.
- 19Spoon Custard on top and sprinkle with nutmeg.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wine Gelatin with Custard
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.4
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 72.2 mg
- Sodium 102.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 27.9 g
- Protein 8.8 g