Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Recipe was created by Polly from Polly's Slow Food restaurant which closed about 25 years ago. This soup was usually accompanied by lavosh crackers and topped with parsley or popcorn. It's rich and delicately flavored, perfect on a chilly Minnesota evening!
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, sliced thinly
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (use high quality cheddar, shred by hand)
- 1 cup diced canned tomato
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- Melt butter in large saucepan.
- Add onion, celery, and carrots and sauté over medium heat until onions are transluscent.
- Add flour.
- Add spices, wine, and chicken stock.
- Gradually add cheese, being careful not to let the soup boil.
- Add whipping cream slowly, still keeping soup from boiling.
- Heat through and serve!