Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is another of our family's traditional cake for Rosh Hashanah. We are not big honey cake fans. This is the very easy to make moist sweet cake for a sweet New Year that my mom used to make.
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sherry wine (or any sweet wine can be substituted)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups chopped nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped maraschino cherry (optional)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- Cream together sugar, margarine, and eggs. Add the remaining ingredients. Bake 1 hour or until done at 325 degrees in a loaf pan.
- [If you use a red wine the color will look odd before baking. It is fine after baking. If it bothers you -- stick to white wines.].