Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
A Pride recipe
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck shoulder pot roast
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup red Burgundy wine or 1 cup other dry wine
- 13 ounces beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Trim and discard visible fat from roast; wipe meat with damp paper towels.
- Rub roast with garlic. On waxed paper, coat evenly with flour.
- In Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add roast and cook, turning often, until browned on all sides. Pour off all fat.
- Add wine, broth, oregano, and bay leaf,.
- Bring liquid to a boil; reduce heat to low simmer. Cover tightly and cook about 2 hours, turning occasionally. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper.
- Cook until roast is fork-tender,about 30 additional minutes.