1/2 Photos of Wine Braised Oxtails
This is the most velvety, scrumptious stew-like dish! My family BEGS me to make this. It's time consuming, but so worth it! I probably only make it a couple times a year (usually in the colder months) and it's always a hit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (750 ml) bottles red wine (I use Merlot)
- 6 lbs oxtails, large pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil, approximately (use more or less depending on how many batches you brown the oxtails)
- 5 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium leeks (white parts only, coarsely chopped)
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bunch parsley stems
- 4 cups beef broth (I use homemade, but you can used the low-sodium canned variety if you like)
- 1In a 4- to 6-quart heavy saucepan boil wine until reduced by about half (about 3 1/4 cups).
- 2Trim oxtails and pat dry. Season oxtails with salt and pepper. In a large pot, just large enough to hold oxtails in one layer, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over moderately high heat and brown half of oxtails on all sides, transferring to a bowl. Brown remaining oxtails in 1 tablespoon olive oil in same manner and transfer to bowl.
- 3Add coarsely chopped shallots, garlic, carrots, leeks, onion, and celery to the pot just used to brown the oxtails and cook in 1 tablespoon olive oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened.
- 4Arrange oxtails over vegetables and add reduced wine, herbs, and enough broth to just cover oxtails.
- 5Bring liquid to a boil. Turn to a low heat and braise oxtails, covered, on the stove for 3 hours (you can also do this in the oven), or until meat is very tender.
- 6Transfer oxtails with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Pour braising liquid through a fine sieve into a large container and discard solids. Refrigerate overnight.
- 7Next day, skim the fat off the liquid. Combine the oxtails with the liquid in a large pot and simmer for another 2 to 3 hours.
- 8Serve with mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wine Braised Oxtails
Serving Size: 1 (514 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.5
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.5 mg
- Sodium 425.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs