Recipe by MA HIKER
This is a very tender chuck roast with an amazing onion gravy. I serve it with egg noodles, warm bread and a green salad. I have never been a big fan of "roast beef" but this is to die for!
- 1814.36 g boneless chuck roast
- 9.85 ml salt
- 3.69 ml black pepper
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 907.18 g onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml dried rosemary
- 354.88 ml dry white wine
- 236.59 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 325°F.
- Pat beef dry and rub all over with 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof 5 quart wide heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Brown beef on all sides, about 15 minutes total.
- Transfer beef to a plate.
- Add onions to pot and sauté over moderately high heat, stirring frequently until pale golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary, and remaining 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and cook stirring, two minutes.
- Add wine and water and bring to a boil.
- Return beef to pot, then cover tightly and braise in oven, turning once after 1 hour, until beef is very tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours total.
- Let beef stand, uncovered, in onion gravy about 15 minutes.
- Cut into 1/2 inch thick slice and serve with onion gravy.