Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Beef short ribs braised in a big red until tender and juicy. I use chicken stock in this recipe because beef stock provided an overly heavy flavor that I didn't get when I made this with chicken stock.
- 4 boneless beef short ribs
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 celery rib
- 1 large carrot
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup wine
- 1 -2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Chop onion, celery and carrot into one inch pieces. Mince garlic. Set aside. Dredge beef in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Shake off extra flour.
- Heat dutch oven or other oven/stovetop safe deep pan over high heat till hot. Add oil and immediately add beef.
- Brown beef till all sides are dark golden brown. Remove from pan and add onion, carrot and celery.
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic. Sauté till vegetables start to brown.
- Add wine and reduce by half.
- Add tomato paste, chicken stock, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf.
- Return beef to pan, cover tightly and place in oven. Cook for about two hours or until beef is tender but not falling apart.
- Remove beef and strain vegetables off of sauce. Return liquid to pan and reduce until desired consistency.
- Season sauce to taste. Serve over spatzle, noodles or polenta. (or whatever else you please).
I made this for the first time the other day... I followed the recipe except for the following changes: - I used beef broth instead of chicken stock (don't know why you would use chicken stock with beef?) - I put in 4 whole cloves of clove - I did it in the slow cooker... just followed all the directions and poured everything into the slow cooker for 4-6 hours on low Yuuuuummmyy!! The right savoury flavour, not sweet but really very good, my husband said "You could serve this in a restaurant!!" I'd serve it with mashed potatoes next time and blend the sauce and veggies up to make gravy. Thanks for a great recipe!! Michelle
This was a wonderful, silky, rich recipe for boneless short ribs. Lucky for my husband and I, we came across this recipe and had all the ingredients on hand. A couple minor tweaks, include used extra virgin olive oil (instead of canola oil), beef stock (instead of chicken stock), omitted the rosemary, doubled carrots and celery and added 1 tbsp soy sauce. Browned and slow cooked the meat in our dutch oven. Increased the liquid to ensure it covered the meat (1 1/2 cup wine, 2 1/2 + cup of stock). Braised in oven for 2 1/2 hours, fork tender. To ensure a silky gravy, definitely follow the recipe, strain the vegetables and cook down the liquid 'gravy'. Served with mashed potatoes and sautéed broccolini. Beautiful and tasty meal, restaurant worthy. Rebecca, thank you for posting this recipe.
Simple easy. I used beef stock, extra garlic, an assortment of mushrooms, and shallots instead of onions, fresh rosemary and thyme, crushed red pepper. I also trimmed the fat caps on the boneless short ribs. When all was cooked, I strained the sauce (kept the veggies, VERY minimal fat) and first made a roux in the same pan. Added back in the sauce from the veggies until all thickened (and a little more beef stock) added back in the veggies and meat and served with leftover jasmati rice from the previous nights dinner. Next time I will add some tomatoes and more paste and maybe a little whole grain mustard or Dijon mustard for a little extra something.