Beef short ribs braised in a big red until tender and juicy. I use chicken stock in this recipe because beef stock provided an overly heavy flavor that I didn't get when I made this with chicken stock.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Chop onion, celery and carrot into one inch pieces. Mince garlic. Set aside. Dredge beef in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Shake off extra flour.
- Heat dutch oven or other oven/stovetop safe deep pan over high heat till hot. Add oil and immediately add beef.
- Brown beef till all sides are dark golden brown. Remove from pan and add onion, carrot and celery.
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic. Sauté till vegetables start to brown.
- Add wine and reduce by half.
- Add tomato paste, chicken stock, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf.
- Return beef to pan, cover tightly and place in oven. Cook for about two hours or until beef is tender but not falling apart.
- Remove beef and strain vegetables off of sauce. Return liquid to pan and reduce until desired consistency.
- Season sauce to taste. Serve over spatzle, noodles or polenta. (or whatever else you please).