1/1 Photo of Wine-Braised Beef
2 hrs 20 mins
This is also known as "boeuf en daube a la provencale". You will need cheesecloth to make your "bouquet garni", and you marinate the meat for 10 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Marinating time is not included in prep and cooking time.From Classic International Recipes, this is best cooked in a very heavy dutch oven, such as Le Creuset.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups Burgundy wine
- 4 medium carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 juniper berries
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup ripe olives, pitted and sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1For the marinade, in a mixing bowl combine the burgundy, carrots, onions, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. Make your bouquet garni, using cheesecloth (several thicknesses). Place garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, juniper berries, thyme, marjoram, and fennel seed in the center of the square of cheesecloth. Bring the edges together and tie with kitchen string.
- 2Place the been in a plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Pour the marinade over the meat; add the bouquet garni. Close the bag. Marinate the meat in the refrigerator for 10 hours or overnight. Turn the bag occasionally.
- 3Drain the beef, reserving the marinade, vegetables, and bouquet garni. Pat the beef dry with paper toweling.
- 4In a heavy, oven-going Dutch oven cook the bacon until crisp; remove, drain, and crumble. Leave the drippings in the pot. Add the beef to the Dutch oven; brown over medium high heat. Remove the beef and set aside.
- 5Cook the reserved onions and carrots in the drippings until the onion is tender but not brown. Add more oil if needed. Drain off the fat. Add the beef, reserved marinade, bouquet garni, and the bacon.
- 6Add the undrained tomatoes and beef broth. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat. Cover with a tight fitting lid.
- 7Bake in a 350° oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 8Stir in the black olives; heat through. Remove the meat and vegetables from the wine mixture. Arrange in a serving dish and keep warm. Discard the bouquet garni.
- 9Stir the flour, softened butter, salt, and pepper into a smooth paste. Stir the paste into the hot mixture in the Dutch oven. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- 10To serve, pour the wine mixture over the meat and vegetables.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wine-Braised Beef
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.0
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 115.6 mg
- Sodium 1025.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 36.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns