This is also known as "boeuf en daube a la provencale". You will need cheesecloth to make your "bouquet garni", and you marinate the meat for 10 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Marinating time is not included in prep and cooking time.From Classic International Recipes, this is best cooked in a very heavy dutch oven, such as Le Creuset.
- 2 cups Burgundy wine
- 4 medium carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 juniper berries
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup ripe olives, pitted and sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- For the marinade, in a mixing bowl combine the burgundy, carrots, onions, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. Make your bouquet garni, using cheesecloth (several thicknesses). Place garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, juniper berries, thyme, marjoram, and fennel seed in the center of the square of cheesecloth. Bring the edges together and tie with kitchen string.
- Place the been in a plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Pour the marinade over the meat; add the bouquet garni. Close the bag. Marinate the meat in the refrigerator for 10 hours or overnight. Turn the bag occasionally.
- Drain the beef, reserving the marinade, vegetables, and bouquet garni. Pat the beef dry with paper toweling.
- In a heavy, oven-going Dutch oven cook the bacon until crisp; remove, drain, and crumble. Leave the drippings in the pot. Add the beef to the Dutch oven; brown over medium high heat. Remove the beef and set aside.
- Cook the reserved onions and carrots in the drippings until the onion is tender but not brown. Add more oil if needed. Drain off the fat. Add the beef, reserved marinade, bouquet garni, and the bacon.
- Add the undrained tomatoes and beef broth. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat. Cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in the black olives; heat through. Remove the meat and vegetables from the wine mixture. Arrange in a serving dish and keep warm. Discard the bouquet garni.
- Stir the flour, softened butter, salt, and pepper into a smooth paste. Stir the paste into the hot mixture in the Dutch oven. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- To serve, pour the wine mixture over the meat and vegetables.
This dish was absolutely marvelous. I followed the recipe to a T and I wouldn't change a thing. It is definitely a keeper.
Excellent! This became a Super Storm Sandy special. I had to cook the entire meal on the gas stove top as we had no power. Refrigerator, freezer, computer, light in kitchen and TV was run by generator. I had to omit the black olives and the juniper berries. DH had me add mushrooms that we had in our refrigerator. I also forgot to cut the meat up into chunks. This was one of the best meals I have had in a long time! Made for Photo tag.