Recipe by Chef1MOM-Connie
YUMMMMY is what I say. I found this recipe in a cookbook, liked it but wanted something better. So I adapted this recipe after playing with it. Here is what I came up with.
Top Review by **Mandy**
I currently have a cold so had to rely on hubby's taste buds for this rating, He rates 4 stars, it made a lovely filling & thick stew and cooked up lovely in a cast iron pot on a pot belly stove. Thanks for posting!
- 453.59-680.38 g beef stew meat (cubed 1 inch pieces)
- 14.79 ml cooking oil
- 236.59 ml carrots, sliced diagonally or 236.59 ml use baby carrots
- 236.59 ml sliced celery
- 1 large onion, chunked
- 396.89 g tomatoes (chunked or cut up)
- 236.59 ml pearl barley
- 2 large potatoes, cut in 1 in cubes
- 453.59 g green beans (drain liquid from can)
- 236.59 ml red wine or 236.59 ml Burgundy wine
- 946.36 ml beef broth (or water and bouillon to make equivalent)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 9.85 ml basil, crushed
- 7.39 ml hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 78.07 ml parsley, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- in skillet heat oil and toss in stew meat to sear.
- drain oil and toss into crock pot.
- add in all other ingredients except parsley.
- cover and cook on low 9-10 hours, high 4-5 hours.
- before serving add parsley, stir.
- serve with salad, crusty bread, and a hard cheese.
- NOTE! Crock pots cook differently, newer ones cook hotter. Please check at initial times for low and high.
- ***Searing meat is optional, I have had to toss everything in before work without searing and it came out well.