Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
YUMMMMY is what I say. I found this recipe in a cookbook, liked it but wanted something better. So I adapted this recipe after playing with it. Here is what I came up with.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb beef stew meat (cubed 1 inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup carrots, sliced diagonally or 1 cup use baby carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 large onion, chunked
- 14 ounces tomatoes (chunked or cut up)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 large potatoes, cut in 1 in cubes
- 16 ounces green beans (drain liquid from can)
- 1 cup red wine or 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 4 cups beef broth (or water and bouillon to make equivalent)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup parsley, garnish
- in skillet heat oil and toss in stew meat to sear.
- drain oil and toss into crock pot.
- add in all other ingredients except parsley.
- cover and cook on low 9-10 hours, high 4-5 hours.
- before serving add parsley, stir.
- serve with salad, crusty bread, and a hard cheese.
- NOTE! Crock pots cook differently, newer ones cook hotter. Please check at initial times for low and high.
- ***Searing meat is optional, I have had to toss everything in before work without searing and it came out well.
I currently have a cold so had to rely on hubby's taste buds for this rating, He rates 4 stars, it made a lovely filling & thick stew and cooked up lovely in a cast iron pot on a pot belly stove. Thanks for posting!
This was such a hearty and filling dish! Super easy, and super tasty -how can you go wrong? I just added a tsp of salt before switching on the slow cooker and otherwise copied as is. My husband came home to a decadent smelling house and said he gave it a 10. This one is going into my file! :-) Thanks for posting!
This was good! Even the kids ate it. We served over crackers with a little shredded cheddar on top. Yum. And EASY!