1/1 Photo of Wine, Barley, and Beef (Crock Pot Style)
4 hrs 15 mins
YUMMMMY is what I say. I found this recipe in a cookbook, liked it but wanted something better. So I adapted this recipe after playing with it. Here is what I came up with.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -1 1/2 lb beef stew meat (cubed 1 inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup carrots, sliced diagonally or 1 cup use baby carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 large onion, chunked
- 14 ounces tomatoes (chunked or cut up)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 large potatoes, cut in 1 in cubes
- 16 ounces green beans (drain liquid from can)
- 1 cup red wine or 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 4 cups beef broth (or water and bouillon to make equivalent)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons basil, crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup parsley, garnish
- 1in skillet heat oil and toss in stew meat to sear.
- 2drain oil and toss into crock pot.
- 3add in all other ingredients except parsley.
- 5cover and cook on low 9-10 hours, high 4-5 hours.
- 6before serving add parsley, stir.
- 7serve with salad, crusty bread, and a hard cheese.
- 8NOTE! Crock pots cook differently, newer ones cook hotter. Please check at initial times for low and high.
- 9***Searing meat is optional, I have had to toss everything in before work without searing and it came out well.
Browse Our Top Equipment Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wine, Barley, and Beef (Crock Pot Style)
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.9
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 483.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 7.7 g