Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Drunken with flavor, this chicken and artichoke casserole adds zest to any dinner. Served with rice or potatoes, it's an easy meal to please your family.
- 1 frying chicken, quartered
- 2 (14 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup dry sherry or 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Place chicken in baking pan (remove skin).
- Arrange artichokes around chicken.
- Combine tomato sauce, wine, spices, salt and pepper.
- Pour over chicken.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.
Very simple, tasty recipe. I used boneless chicken breasts because that's what I had on hand. I also topped the dish with grated parmesan for the last 7 minutes. A good dinner with easy preparation.
I prepared this with a few substitions because of necessity. I used Cavenders Seasoning which has all of the above named in it and a Pinot Grigio wine. Because we are dieting I opted for healthier skinless, boneless chicken breasts. I would recommend this to everyone. It is a great way to introduce artichokes to your family and have them well received. One more addition to the recipe, after 35 minutes I took the chicken out and sprinkled mozzarella cheese on top and finished baking for the last 10 minutes. This was an excellent dish.
Quick, easy, tasty. Be sure to use the dry sherry for a richer-tasting sauce. I used chicken breasts and served over penne pasta. Yummy!!!