5 hrs 25 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is not your mother's pot roast! The meat is gently cooked with wine and tomatoes and scented with herbs and orange peel. Pot roast fit for company! From an April 1986 issue of Bon Appetit in the "Cooking with Friends" section, featuring an Elegant and Easy menu. This goes well with Golden Carrot Risotto and Broccoli and Red Bell Pepper Saute.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 piece salt pork, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4-inch-square)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 -6 lb) boneless chuck roast (4 to 6-pound, or round roast or brisket)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs canned peeled Italian plum tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 3 parsley sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, julienned
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- minced fresh parsley, garnish
- 1Blanch salt pork in boiling water 5 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- 2Heay oil in Dutch oven or deep, heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- 3Add onions,salt pork and garlic and saute until pork is browned, about 20 minutes.
- 4Remove onions and pork with slotted spoon; set aside.
- 5Increase heat to medium-high.
- 6Pat beef dry;season with salt and pepper.
- 7Add to Dutch oven and brown on both sides, about 20 minutes.
- 8Return onions and pork to pan; add tomatoes with liquid,wine,parsley sprigs,bay leaf,orange peel thyme,marjoram and basil.
- 9Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until beef is tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- 10Remove meat, bay leaf and parsley sprigs from pan; keep meat warm.
- 11Degrease sauce.
- 12Mix water and flour; stir half into sauce and bring to a boil.
- 13Reduce heat and simmer until thickened,adding remaining flour mixture if desired.
- 14Slice meat and arrange on platter; pour sauce over, garnish with parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wine-And Herb-Braised Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 698.7
- Calories from Fat 432
- Total Fat 48.0 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 156.4 mg
- Sodium 143.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 43.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: