Recipe by V'nut-Beyond Redemption
This is an adopted recipe. I shall be trying it out and then post any additional information if needs be. Feel free to try it out first and share your comments!
- 10 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 cup madeira wine
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, Shredded (4 oz.)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- to taste cream, Whipped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bread slices on baking sheet and toast under broiler until light brown.
- Tear into bite-size pieces; spread in even layer in 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Drizzle wine over bread so all is moistened.
- Sprinkle raisins evenly over bread, then sprinkle evenly with Monterey Jack cheese; set aside. In 2-quart heavy saucepan, cook sugar over medium heat without stirring until sugar begins to melt at edge. Start stirring with wooden spoon and stir until sugar melts completely and turns straw-colored.
- Reduce heat; stir constantly until sugar is color of dark honey.
- Remove from heat; add water very gradually, stirring constantly.
- Mixture will boil up .
- If lumps of hard caramel develop, return pan to heat; boil until mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat; stir in cinnamon and butter.
- Pour evenly over bread.
- Cover with foil; bake at 350 F 30 minutes.
- Remove foil; cool 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
- Sodium 270 mg.