Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Whenever we had a potluck lunch at the office or a neighborhood BBQ, I would make these the night before, tripling the recipe, then plug in the crock pot to heat them up for whichever event was going on. They always went quickly. I think they are very good and are really easy to make. If you are making this for a family meal, they are really nice served with rice. If you are making it for a crowd, just put out a bunch of toothpicks, and let folks help themselves.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2⁄3 cup onion, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (or more to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 (19 ounce) can pineapple chunks (reserve juice)
- 1 cup sweet pepper, any color (diced or sliced)
For the sauce
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Combine beef, eggs, salt, pepper, onion, garlic and breadcrumbs.
- Shape into 48 meatballs (about 1 inch in diameter) and brown till no longer pink inside.
- Drain off excess fat on paper towels.
- Combine vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, reserved pineapple juice and cornstarch.
- Simmer till thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add meatballs, pineapple and sweet pepper and simmer until thoroughly heated.
We found these OK and will use again when we find out what is missing for our tastes. Thanks for posting a good recipe.