Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
"This is the best house salad being served in New Orleans. It is presented beautifully, with multi-color layers in a glass bowl. It is something like the classic Cobb salad, but without the chicken." An old article from Inside New Orleans Restaurant section.
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 2 bunches watercress
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (whites and yolks separated)
- 6 radishes
- 2 ounces Roquefort cheese
- 2 large tomatoes
- 4 slices crisp bacon
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 raw egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 french shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons bottled chili sauce (next to the catsup at the market)
- salt and pepper
- Chop all the above ingredients separately. (Do not use a food processor for the lettuce, as it bruises the greens and gives it a funny taste.)
- Put each ingredient in a vertical layer in a glass bowl.
- It's colorful and dramatic, so show the finished salad to your guests before tossing the salad with Sauce Lorenzo.
- Lightly beat together the egg yolk and Dijon mustard.
- Beating quickly, alternately add the oil and the wine vinegar in a steady stream to form an emulsion. Season with chopped shallots, chili sauce, salt and pepper.
ok people go to his site if you like copycat or hot or country cooking i love reading your recipes and this is a very nice salad recipe thank you for posting dee