Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This was my mother's recipe and one she used for fresh fruit rather than shortcake. It is also good just as is with a sprinkling of icing sugar. Has the added bonus of no extra fat and relatively healthy. Hope someone out there enjoys this.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour (sifted before measuring)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 10 inch tube pan - UNGREASED).
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat egg yolks until frothy.
- Add water and beat until the bowl is nearly full of liquid and bubbles are small.
- Add sugar gradually.
- Add dry ingredients slowly, beating as you do.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold in thoroughly.
- Bake 50 minutes.
- Do not use a plastic bowl - a large metal one is best.