Recipe by Megan's Mommy
I'm wimpy when it comes to spicy foods, so this salsa is mild. More of a Pico than a salsa, but works great for dipping or Mexican dishes. I like to use my food processor to get a smooth texture, but you could chop it by hand if you wish.
- 8 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 2 green onions
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 ounces green chilies, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, loosely packed
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each tomato in 1/4, squeeze to remove the seeds and juice.
- Cut the onion, green onion, jalapeno and garlic in large chunks.
- Add the tomatoes to the food processor and pulse until small pieces, I like mine smooth.
- Remove to a clean bowl.
- Add the red onion, green onion, seeded jalapeno and garlic, pulse until smooth.
- Add to the bowl of tomatoes.
- Add the cilantro to the food processor, pulse until chopped and add to the tomato mixture.
- To the tomato mixture in the bowl, add the green chilies, lime juice, salt and pepper, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, olive oil and tomato sauce.
- Mix well and chill until serving time.