Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the recipe directly from Wilton's website for their chocolate buttercream decorating icing. You can make it soft and spreadable or as stiff as you need by adjusting the amount of milk or water you add. Just follow the directions and it'll come out perfect every time.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa (or three 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, melted)
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk (or water)
- Stiff Consistency: In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add cocoa and vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk, 1 tbsp at a time until you get the desired consistency and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
- Chocolate Mocha Icing: Substitute cold brewed strong coffee for milk in Chocolate Buttercream recipe.
- Darker Chocolate Icing: Add an additional 1/4 cup cocoa (or one additional 1 oz. square unsweetened chocolate, melted) and 1 additional tablespoon milk to Chocolate Buttercream Icing.
- For Thin (Spreading) Consistency Icing: Add 3-4 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.
Try adding a cup or so of creamy peanut butter... you'll have to adjust the powdered sugar a little- but WOW!!!
The most perfect, yummy frosting EVER! If you dislike frosting that is overly sweet, this is the one for you. This frosting is scrumptious, rich, but not sugary sweet. The downside - I would eat a bowl of this if I didn't have more self control! Thanks for sharing!
This icing was amazingly delicious and the directions were perfect! Worked beautifully on a chocolate layer cake I made for a party. Everyone loved it. Thank you for posting!