Recipe by Marie Nixon
These are an easy sugar cookie to make because they require no refrigeration of the dough before rolling it out. Updated 11/2009 - after reading some of the reviews that said the dough was crumbly, I updated the ingredients to state that the unsalted butter should be softened to room temperature. I am hoping that solves the crumbly dough problem. I've never experienced that and I am thinking that is because I soften the butter before mixing. Hope that helps everyone.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer for 2 minutes; scrape down bowl.
- Cream the mixture for an additional minute.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Sift baking powder and flour.
- Add flour mixture 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- The dough will be very stiff.
- Blend in the last of the flour by hand.
- Do not chill dough.
- Roll dough to 3/8" thickness and cut out using cookie cutters.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove cookies to cooling grid to cool completely.
- Note: I got 12-14 4" round cookies out of one batch.
- My convection oven baked them at 350° for 10 minutes.