Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This icing is from Wilton, I did the cake decorating course last year and this was the recipe used. This basic recipe gives a stiff icing which is great for making roses and other flowers, but can be thinned down by adding a teaspoon of water at a time to get the consistency you need, for a medium icing for piping add an extra 1 teaspoon of water/milk. For a thin icing to put a base frosting on the cake, add 2 teaspoons of milk/water. I usually use a combination of almond and vanilla extract, and if you are maikng a pure white icing use a clear extract, Wilton do a range of these.
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco, room temp
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon almond extract or 1 teaspoon butter flavor extract
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- Cream the butter and crisco together.
- Add the flavour extract and water.
- Add dry ingredients 1 cup at a time and beat on medium until throughly mixed.
- Beat for another 7-10 minutes till the icing is creamy and smooth.
- Keep covered with a damp cloth while using and leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2 weeks.
- This yields about 3 cups.
I printed out the recipe to use this evening for my grandson's birthday cup cakes but had to stop. I had everything on hand except for the meringue - it is absolutely necessary to use since it doesn't appear to be available at my local stores?
Thank you so much for posting this! It tastes exactly like bakery icing. I have had this picked and printed since adopting you during PAC. I've been waiting for this round of holidays to use it. My little girl and my Dad both have birthdays on Memorial Day weekend so I put this recipe through it's paces and it was FANTASTIC in EVERY way. First, I made cupcakes for my little one to have on her actual birth "day". Then I made her a chocolate Little Mermaid cake and decorated it with this great icing. For my Dad, I made a lemon layer cake iced & decorated with this icing flavored with lemon extract instead of the vanilla. It was so easy to make and so easy to work with. I'm not a great decorator but this icing made me look like I was almost good at it. These cakes were big hits! Thanks, CC!!!
This was very easy to make, and easy to work with. I'm not very skilled as a cake decorator, but even I was able to pull off a decent job of my son's Spiderman request for his birthday cake. I like the butter/shortening balance here, because using all shortening leaves a greasy feeling coating my tongue which I don't like in a frosting. Thanks so much, C.C.!