1/22 Photos of Wilton Buttercream Icing
A great icing that we used in Wilton Cake Decorating Class. Would produce amazing results everytime. Thinning is done easily by adding water. This recipe makes "stiff" consistency. To make "medium" add one tablespoon milk or water. To make "thin" icing (perfect consistency for decorating a cake with the basic coating) Add two tablespoons of milk or water. If you want pure white icing, which is the perfect base to tint, use the white crisco shortening and any clear vanilla extract (wilton makes a great one). Using any others will give a faint creamy color that may affect the shade you try and tint with. Using water will give you a stable product that needs no refridgeration and the icing will keep indefinately in the fridge if you keep it in a covered container. If it dries out in the fridge you can always just add a bit of water to bring it back to the consistency you need. If you over thin at any time, just add more icing sugar to thicken. Very versatile product!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon wilton clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 1 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder, for baking or 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
- 1Cream butter and shortening with mixer.
- 2add vanilla.
- 3gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating on medium speed.
- 4scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.
- 5when all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk or water and beat at medium speed until ready to use.
- 6refridgerate leftover icing in an airtight container.
- 7Rewhip before using.
- 8*****For chocolate icing.
- 9Add cocoa powder or melted chocolate when adding the sugar.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wilton Buttercream Icing
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 209.2
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 13.7 mg
- Sodium 47.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 26.1 g
- Protein 0.8 g