Recipe by MarieRynr
This is a very cozy sandwich, warm and soothing, and much healthier than, say, a meatball Parmesan sub.
- 1⁄2 baguette
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed,washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons caramelized onions
- 2 canned or fresh plum tomatoes, chopped or 1⁄2 cup fresh salsa, well drained
- 2 -3 slices cheddar cheese (or enough grated Cheddar to cover)
Directions See How It's Made
- Split the baguette lengthwise, but don't separate the halves (This way you can bite into the finished sandwich without hot liquid spurting out and burning your fingers).
- PUll the soft centers from the bread and sprinkle the remaining baguette with 1 TBS of the olive oil and half the garlic (or more if you like).
- Under a broiler, toast the inside of the bread until golden brown.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, lightly saute the spinach with the remaining olive oil and garlic.
- Fill both sides of the bread with the spinach, layer on the onions and tomatoes, then top with cheese.
- Toast the sandwich open-faced under the broiler until the cheese is golden brown.