Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 mins
This is from Scott Lindquist, chef at Border Grill, via Cooking with Two Hot Tamales Cookbook.
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches spinach, stems removed, washed, dried
- 10 pickled shallots
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese (or anejo cheese) (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, and olive oil together.
- Just before serving, place all ingredients foro the salad on the counter. Turn on stovetop burner to medium high.
- Set a large stainless steel bowl over the burner and heat until very hot. Using an oven mitt or pot holder to protect your hands, pour the vinaigrette into the bowl and swirl for a minute or two, until the vinaigrette is hot. Quickly throw in the spinach and shallots and toss salad with tongs to coat evenly. When the spinach begins to wilt, remove from heat and move to serving plates.
- Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds and cheese if desired. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
I changed the instructions around a little and cooked regular shallots (not pickled ones) with the vinegar/mustard mixture until the shallots softened. A standard small sauce pan instead of a stainless bowl was used to prepare the dressing. Then the dressing was drizzled over the composed salad. Will make again! Reviewed for Sharon123's Cookathon.