I served this terrific salad to guests and it was a hit! Pour the hot dressing over the salad right before serving time. I found this recipe in an old Farm Journal cookbook. Cook time is for the time it takes to boil the eggs and fry the bacon.
- Combine spinach, onions and eggs in a large salad bowl.
- Cook bacon in skillet until crispy; remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings.
- Add vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to bacon drippings, heat to boiling, stirring to blend.
- Pour over spinach mixture; toss gently.
- Sprinkle with bacon.
This is it. The real McCoy. If you are looking for the traditional recipe, here it is. This is delicious. I don't bother with measuring out the drippings from the bacon. I use it all. It also works well if the spinach is at room temp when you pour on the hot dressing. Some recipes indicate that you should heat the dressing in a large pan, then with the heat on stir in the spinach. Don't do it. The spinach will turn into something that looks like it came out of a can. Follow the recipe. It works.
Funny how our taste buds change as we 'grow up.' When I was young, I remember my mom making this, and I couldn't stand it! I came across the recipe and thought it actually sounded like it might be good, so we made it tonight and the whole family really enjoyed it! Thank you for the recipe!
I always loved this when I used to eat it alot back in the '70's. Now my family likes it too! I make it with Splenda to save on calories and keep extra dressing so I can take it to work for lunch. Thanx for posting, it's a keeper.