Recipe by Hey Jude
I served this terrific salad to guests and it was a hit! Pour the hot dressing over the salad right before serving time. I found this recipe in an old Farm Journal cookbook. Cook time is for the time it takes to boil the eggs and fry the bacon.
Top Review by Bob Crouch
This is it. The real McCoy. If you are looking for the traditional recipe, here it is. This is delicious. I don't bother with measuring out the drippings from the bacon. I use it all. It also works well if the spinach is at room temp when you pour on the hot dressing. Some recipes indicate that you should heat the dressing in a large pan, then with the heat on stir in the spinach. Don't do it. The spinach will turn into something that looks like it came out of a can. Follow the recipe. It works.
- 6 cups spinach, washed,drained very well and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 3 hardboiled egg, coarsely chopped
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine spinach, onions and eggs in a large salad bowl.
- Cook bacon in skillet until crispy; remove bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings.
- Add vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to bacon drippings, heat to boiling, stirring to blend.
- Pour over spinach mixture; toss gently.
- Sprinkle with bacon.