Recipe by Lavender Lynn
This recipe comes for a BHG small CB with favorite recipes from 1930 until 2001. This particular recipe comes from 1941. This recipe interests me because when I was in my early teens, our family went back to Oklahoma to visit all our relatives. This was the salad that my aunt made every day we were there. I have never had it since then.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
I love wilted spinach salad, and this recipe sure delivers. In fact, it's very similar to my usual recipe. I used about 200 grams of baby spinach, cider vinegar and a little extra dry mustard. My mushrooms looked a bit sorry, so I subbed with 8 largish cherry tomatoes that I cut in half. My photos show the salad on its own and with Recipe #259391. Thanks so much for posting.
- 1419.54 ml spinach or 1419.54 ml romaine lettuce, torn fresh
- 236.59 ml fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 59.14 ml green onion, thinly sliced
- 3 slice bacon
- 44.37 ml vinegar
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml dry mustard
- 1 egg, hardboiled, chopped up
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl combine spinach, mushrooms, and green onions. Set Aside.
- For Dressing, in a 12" skillet cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon; reserving 2 T drippings in skillet.
- Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Stir vinegar, sugar, and dry mustard into drippings.
- Bring to boiling: remove from heat.
- Add the spinach mixture.
- Toss mixture in skillet for 30 to 60 seconds or until mixture is just wilted.
- Transfer to serving dish and top with egg and bacon.