Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
When I was growing up this was my grandfathers favorite salad, and would have my mother bring it to every get together. It's been a family favorite ever since.
- 1 head lettuce, broken into bite sized pieces.
- 4 -5 green onions, sliced including tops
- 1 lb fried bacon, broken into pieces
- 3⁄4 cup bacon grease
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2-1 cup sugar, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Put first three ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine sugar, eggs, vinegar, water& pepper.
- Pour into hot grease and cook until thick.
- Cool 5 minutes and then pour over salad ingredients.
- Stir and serve immediately, it will really wilt as it sets.
This is so good!!!I do use sweet WallaWalla onions or Vadilia onions.This is also delicious with red leaf,Romaine and radiccio lettuce! This is also a wonderful dietary cleansing food. The vinegar offsets the bacon and grease and you can use Splenda if you wish. Thanks for posting!
This is the recipe I have been looking for, for years. It is the same one my mother use to make when I was growing up
This was a family favorite until my Grandmother died, never having written down the recipe. This is so close, and oh so good! The only changes I have made, in the many times since discovery of this recipe, is that I use red onion or Vidalia onion slices.