Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Another daughter of a Southern Woman recipe. This is the taste of summer!
- 2 bunches green leaf lettuce (or an equal amount of garden lettuce if you should be so lucky!)
- 1 bunch green onion, tops only, sliced small
- 1 lb bacon, diced, fried crisp, and drained
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cut up lettuce and onion tops, place in a large bowl.
- Place bacon on top of lettuce.
- Have all the rest of the ingredients ready, because this goes quickly!
- Pour out all but 3T. of the bacon grease.
- Set the skillet on medium heat and add the cream, salt and sugar.
- From this point you will be whisking constantly.
- Heat the cream until it begins to steam - don't let it bubble.
- Add the vinegar slowly, whisking constantly until the mixture begins to steam.
- Pour the mixture over the lettuce, toss and serve immediatly.
- Make sure you have some good bread to soak up the leftover juices - trust me, folks will fight for the last drops!
- Note: All the whisking is to keep the dressing from "breaking", or separating. If it does, no problem. It's not as pretty, but it still tastes fabulous.