Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Ilove this recipe. I have been eating it since I cannot remember. I love cider vinegar and maple bacon. I made this salad to use the things I love. Must be the German in me.
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 head lettuce, broken up
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- Fry bacon until crisp; drain off the drippings, saving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- Crumble bacon.
- Add vinegar to reserved drippings, along with the flour and the water. Let simmer a few minutes.
- Sprinkle on the brown sugar.
- Now pour this over the lettuce, cut up eggs, and bacon.
Oh, the memories of my childhood! Summer would not be the same without this fantastic dish! We made it without the hard boiled eggs and Grandma used green onion instead of a small onion and mixed it with the lettuce instead of 'cooking' it with the dressing. THE BEST!
Just like we make it!! We love this in the spring with homegrown leaf lettuce. Thanks for a great keeper!
Thanks so much for this recipe. I grew up in the country in southern Indiana and grew up eating this in the summertime. Can't wait to make it. I couldn't remember how much vinegar/sugar so was thrilled to find this.