Recipe by Dienia B.
pickle recipe that uses alum it is one of those crock pickle recipe that takes awhile to make it uses large cukes i am guessing what will fill 1 1/2 gallons
- 10 large cucumbers
- 1 1⁄2 cups salt
- 3 tablespoons alum
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 8 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon oil
- 1 ounce whole allspice
- 1 ounce celery seed
Directions See How It's Made
- im writing recipe as written here.
- use large cucumber.
- peel and slice 1/4 to1/2 inch thick.
- take out seeds
- soak 3 days in brine of 1 1/2 cups salt to 1 gallon water making sure to have weighted plate on so no pickles pop up will mold in this method
- drain well
- soak in alum water for 3 days
- fresh each day
- that is 1 tablespoon alum to gallon of water
- drain in alum water
- add alum size of walnut until clearness of pickle
- drain real well
- vinegar solution is rest of ingredients
- pour over cucumbers for 3 days
- then heat together and put in jars and seal makes 11/2 gallon can be colored red or green for holidays.