Recipe by picky-picky
I haven't made this yet but I want to. The recipe is in a book I read called "All of The Above" by Shelley Pearsall. It's a fictional story but there are a few recipes in it. In the book this is on a menu that says "sweet enough to make tongues start talking."
Top Review by Christine W.
I made this gluten free and left out the shortening, doubled the cocoa, used chocolate soy milk and put 2 chocolate chips on top of baked cupcakes to melt. Really super good! A friend stuck to the original and theyw ere bland.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degees.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. (dry ingredients).
- Add milk, shortening, egg, and vanilla. (wet ingredients).
- Mix with an electric mixer at medium speed for about 2 minutes or until well-mixed.
- Pour batter into a 9" X 1 1/2" round baking pan which has been greased and floured.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then remove cake from pan and allow to cool thoroughly on a wire baking rack.
- Frost with a thick layer of chocolate frosting and wait for the truth to come out.