Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe has been passed down on my dad's side and is our family favorite. As far as we all know his great-aunt created this recipe. This is absolutely delicious and is great for those cold months. Serve hot. You can also slow cook this. We prefer to serve this with cornbread, but rolls are fine too. This can be kept in an air-tight container in the fridge for about a week.
- 3 heads cabbage (torn or chopped into medium or small size pieces)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb pork sausage (mild, or hot. Depends on your taste)
- 1 large white onions or 1 large yellow onion, chopped small
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (or two cans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce (or two cans)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel diced tomatoes (mild or hot) (optional)
- chili powder
- In a large soup pot, boil cabbage until tender.
- Drain and reserve juice.
- While cabbage is cooking, brown beef and sausage until done.
- Drain well.
- Add back to skillet and add onion.
- Cook until onion is tender.
- Add cabbage back to soup pot with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add cabbage juice a little at a time until you have the consistency you like, soup or stew.
- Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, adding chili powder, salt, and pepper to taste.