Prep 1 min
Cook 7 hrs
I got this from a young bachelor who used to make this one day and eat on it for several days. I just had to try it. DH & I loved it and it has become a staple at my house. You can lower the heat by using smoked sausage instead of andouille.
- 1 lb dried red beans, that have soaked over night in 7 cups of water
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb andouille sausage, sliced
- 3 tablespoons creole seasoning
- hot cooked rice
- Place all but rice into a 4 qt slow cooker.
- Cook, covered at HIGH 7 hours or until beans are tender.
- Serve with hot cooked rice.
- Note: Willie adds 2T baking soda into the pot just before it is done to reduce the gas in the beans, but be careful that you don’t overflow the pot like my DH did.
This was easy and delicious! I was unable to find andouille sausage at my neighborhood grocery store, so I used "cajun sausage", which was a bit salty. Next time I will search for the andouille sausage, or add some smoked ham or turkey. Overall, the beans and rice had a wonderful flavor... I served this with fresh out of the oven cornbread. I will definitely be making this again!
Flavor was great, but we found it a bit spicy. I used healthy choice smoked sausage because I wasn't able to find the andouille sausage either. I will make again, just cut back a bit on the cajun spice.
This was pretty good, but mine turned out very salty. I did make in the crock pot. Put in ingredients then covered some with water. Would put in less seasoning next time to decrease the salt.