Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
James Villas The Glory of Southern Cooking
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups roasted virgina peanuts
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped including leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canned tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 drops Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- Stir together the flour and water to make a paste.
- In a blender or food processor, combine 1 cup of the peanuts with 1 cup broth and blend until pureed. Add remaining nuts and 1 cup of broth and blend again until very smooth. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over moderately low heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic to pan and saute for 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a blender or food processor add another cup of broth and puree. Scrape mixture into a large heavy saucepan over moderate heat. Add flour paste to mixture and cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add remaining 3 cups broth, the strained peanut mixture, tomato sauce, worcestershire, and tobasco. Season with salt and pepper and stir well. Cook until soup is velvety smooth, about 5 minutes.