1/1 Photo of Williams-Sonoma's Brown Butter Cake
I used this recipe to make my snowman cake this year. Added May 23: I've finally made this without using my snowman cake pan, and have added the instructions below the original recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Have all the ingredients at room temperature.
- 2In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, then cook until the solids separate and settle on the pan bottom, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 3Continue to cook until the solids brown and are almost burnt, 18 to 20 minutes more.
- 4Pour the brown butter into a bowl, leaving the solids in the pan (discard the solids).
- 5Let the butter cool at room temperature until firm.
- 6The brown butter can be prepared up to 2 days in advance; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 7Bring to room temperature before using.
- 8Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 325°F
- 9Brush the pan with unsalted vegetable shortening and lightly flour.
- 10Tap out excess flour.
- 11Over a sheet of waxed paper, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 12In a small bowl, combine the milk and vanilla.
- 13Set aside.
- 14In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the brown butter on medium speed until creamy and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 15Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 16Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 17Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk mixture and beginning and ending with the flour.
- 18Beat each addition just until incorporated, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 19Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, dividing it evenly between the two halves. Bake until the center of the cake springs back when touched and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes.
- 20Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- 21Tap the pan gently on a work surface to loosen the cake.
- 22Set the rack over the top of the cake, invert the pan onto the rack and lift off the pan.
- 23Let the cake cool completely, 3 to 4 hours, before assembling and decorating with vanilla buttercream.
- 24If you're using a 9x13 pan:.
- 25Butter and flour pan.
- 26Spoon cake mix into pan and smooth out.
- 27Bake at 325°F for 30-45 minutes, using a toothpick to test doneness.
- 28Cool for 15 minutes and remove from pan; setting cake on cooling rack to cool completely.
- 29Frost as desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Williams-Sonoma's Brown Butter Cake
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 588.8
- Calories from Fat 302
- Total Fat 33.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 155.4 mg
- Sodium 348.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 41.3 g
- Protein 6.4 g