Recipe by Pierre Dance
This quick dinner is a recipe given to me by my friend Willa more years ago than I care to remember. I hadn't thought of it for a long time. Last week I was reading a novel and one of the characters made a similar dish. It took a day and a half of searching cookbooks before I found the right 3x5 card but it was worth the effort. It's just as good as I remember. The times are a guess.
Top Review by Stay in the Bay NZ
This was gorgous, will definately be making again, I cooked the mushrooms slightly and heated the ham, had to use salami as we don't have sweet italian sausage over here, well I couldn't find it anyway. Thanks so much for posting - the red pepper flakes are a brilliant finishing touch
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup marinara sauce (Dib's #10639 is outstanding)
- 1 cup sweet Italian sausage links or 1 cup hot Italian sausage
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 cup button mushroom, sliced
- 1 (7 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the broiler.
- Split the bread in half lengthwise.
- Spread the Marinara Sauce evenly on the 2 halves of the bread.
- Place the 2 halves on a baking sheet.
- Brown the sausage.
- Drain well.
- Evenly scatter the Sausage, Ham, Mozzarella, and Cheddar on the 2 halves of bread.
- Top with Olives, Mushrooms, and Pineapple chunks.
- Broil 8-10 inches from the broiler 'til the cheeses are melted.
- Cut into serving size pieces, eat as you would an open-faced sandwich.
- Each person may top their serving with red pepper flakes if they wish.